Monday, May 8, 2017

Reflection on Senior English

I feel like these choices did influence my experience in the English classroom in a positive way. Throughout my other English classes, it was always mandatory reading, essays, research, and tests. In this class specifically, the students were given the chance to be independent and have fun fun with the books and topics  that were focused on. I felt like I was being treated more of an adult than a child for once.

I first enjoyed reading when we were able to pick out own books for the independent reading. I was able to choose a book that intrigued me and if I didn't like it as I read it, I could choose a new one. I also enjoyed reading when we read the book Laughter in the Dark. That was definitely the only book, mandatory to read, that I truly enjoyed reading throughout high school.

I think I read more both in school as well as outside of school than I did in the past. Part of the reason was because it was mandatory. The independent reading that I had to read in class, I started to read at home as well. That helped me with using my free time to do something productive such as read.

With the essays and my other writing, I can definitely say my writing was "authentic." For one, I could never stay on topic in my writing. I would always steer into a different direction. Overtime I was able to work on that flaw and fix it. I think everyone's writing is "authentic" in their own way, their style of writing to be specific.

I think I was able to have some control over my own learning in English but I feel like it didn't do me much justice. It helped positively when I had the decision in choosing what book I wanted to read for independent reading. I also liked how we had options in topics and ideas for projects. It helped negatively with the blog posts. I'm used to following a rubric on what needs to be included in something when it comes to writing so I had a tough time with that. I think our projects on poems went well. At first, I didn't like the idea of it. As I started my project I became more interested in it. I had new insights in some ideas and I enjoyed reading the poems by my poet as well.

Personally, I don't think you could have done anything differently to enhance my experience in the English classroom this year. I enjoyed the class and you did everything you could to make things fair for everyone as well as comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment