Monday, May 15, 2017

English class 2017

Tamara Raad                                                                                                                            Mrs. Black
English Honors class 2017    

          This year in English class we have done a lot. From new independent reading books, to blog post, and out of the box projects based on our group readings. We've done a lot and its helped me think outside the box. This year what I've taken away from English class will help me when I go off to school in the fall. Although I've become bad with on time work, I still get it done. But I know that I can not do that for college and getting a push from Mrs.Black helps me actually stop being lazy and get my work done. I've taken away many things from our English class that I will continue to use, like my diction and how to focus on the important things and how to use it towards my advantage, like reading The Handmaids Tale, my group took away what the significance of the book. But most importantly we asked ourselves why did the author write this story? Then think about how the main character and her life relates to our present time. That is how we came up with our project.

Throughout our English class this year we've made a lot of decisions and ultimately many of them did make an influence on me. For example with the journals on Friday, I liked them because they allowed me to take a break from everything else and seeing how we have English first period and allowed me to start my Fridays calmly. But most of all I like that we got to pick what we want to read and then we just have the period to read and write. I personally found it relaxing and it made me actually want to read rather than be on my phone. Having to read actually made me read more then what I normally would have to because with all the books we had at once made it a bit confusing at one point because having to remember various main characters at one time and doing group reviews with them and then after a certain period of time going back to our independent reading books, did make it difficult but if it wasn't for this class I personally wouldn't have bothered to pick up a book.

This year I would have to say my writing improved because with all the practices I get in our English class and also having to constantly write essays in Spanish class using our everyday English class outlines it helps me improve my grammar and the way I choose to describe the topic. But thats why I feel yes and no I did get a choice over what I wanted to write about because ultimately I was writing how I felt and my thoughts but there would be somethings like, our blog posts, I felt that sometimes they were just repetitive because it the same book and the same questions we have to answer and it makes it boring to have to rewrite basically the same thing over again. But if it was on various books like our book club books and then our independent reading books then it would have made me want to do more rather than less.

I personally have to say for once in high school,  I actually had an English teacher that made me want to write because if I wasn't thrown essay after essay in my last three years I would bother to like writing but I didn't, so that was something I liked the most about English. But also this year with the independent reading books it gave me that push to want to read. But if I could change anything it would have been me procrastinating and just giving up this year but also the whole focusing more on some people rather than focus on the whole class as a whole would have been better. No it is not favoritism, more so the way the discussion and how the class room's  mood would shift when one person would just start going off because of how they feel. But I feel like if we could have had a better one on one conversation and rather than have a conversation only about an assignment and discuss how the periods going to go I would have liked that better. But overall I wouldn't have changed our English class at all because I have to say this English class has been the most fun class I could have and especially based on writing and literature. No other teacher has made me want to read and write and think outside the box. So, thank you for allowing me to find out I liked writing some things and for allowing me to grow and explore to find the skills I didn't know I had until this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment