Monday, May 8, 2017

English Reflection

Setting aside designated time for an allotted length of meaningful reading has provided this class, along with myself with a sense of flexibility in the curriculum. Coming into class knowing that the class period would be dedicated to something that I decided to read, and something that wouldn't lose my attention or curiosity. The days I enjoyed most were the silent Friday mornings where I could immerse myself into the book of my own choosing, with the full one hour of dedicated time that would be invested in myself was split between a half an hour of reading followed by a journal entry. I noticed that by having these consistent reading intervals on Friday's that it kept me on task, to stay focused on the task at hand. I have a tendency to jump around from author to author when it comes to my reading habits at home when the act is mere leisure. But when I come in on those Friday morning's where I know I have to devote my attention to several pages of The One Thing by Malcolm Gladwell, which by my standards was by far my favorite piece of literature I chose to read on our class reading assignments. I believe that by having at least one day out of the week where I was totally and completely immersed between the pages of a book of my liking that it reinforced my joy and passion for reading, on a daily basis that transcended from Friday's and onto the weekend and through the week. As for my writing experiences in this class, I felt as though there were times where I was completely focused on my work which would produce a piece of work in which I was satisfactory towards, but there were times I felt I didn't put that same level of satisfactorily approval rating that I initially gave myself following a finished product. Revisiting a class experience where I felt that I had complete control over my learning, at the same time felt satisfied with the level of output I put forth was with the Shakespeare soliloquy projects. It was with this project that I had the ability to be creative, with little to no restrictions on where that creativity could take me. With the preexisting curriculum I don't have any complaints with the amount of material or independence among creativity and individual work, but I do have a suggestion in that I feel as though I don't know all of my classmates on a comfortable level, possible group switches of students may have been helpful, to counter a lot of the work that was completed on a individual basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment