Thursday, February 9, 2017

The power of Discipline

The power of Discipline

Grit; the power of passion and perseverance
By Angela Duckworth

Most people strive to avoid pain, and discipline tends to be painful. Angela Duckworth explains the idea of grit and perseverance throughout her novel. She explains the ideas of hard work being the ultimate determinant of success.

Her point of focus towards the end of the book, is centered on the idea of effort. She explains the power of passion, and how passion is the main driving factor of how people discipline themselves, and how much effort people will put into accomplishing something. As she says "80 percent of success in life, is showing up"(49) this idea is explained through how effort is the main determinant in one's tenacity, and in effect, leads to success.

In her research of the tendencies of consistent effort stemming from one's passion, I find that her ideas really relate to my life in many ways. "The reason why it works... is because I've been doing it consistently and persistently"(48); this is a key reason for why I am successful with the things that I put my mind to. My passions for wrestling, and weightlifting translate into the hard work and rigorous lifestyle I pursue, and also the discipline I develop leading to my ultimate success.

The link between my passion and my success in those passions, are not directly linked. There is a bridge that connects those two, and it is grit and discipline. Many people have passions, however not many are prepared to do what it takes to make success out of them. This is what Angela Duckworth's book has ultimately taught me, and I would 100% recommend it to anyone of any age or type. Whether you like sports or musical instruments, fixing cars, or teaching, this book does an exemplary job of portraying the importance of a lifestyle consisting of hard work and discipline, because no matter what it is you do in life, if you do not pursue it with assertiveness, passion, and grit, there will be no bridge between your passions, and your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment